The Global HCV Network is responsible for reviewing evidence-based, peer reviewed articles as well as grey literature in the areas of viral hepatitis prevention and awareness, research and surveillance, and diagnosis and treatment. Using Criteria Grids that were constructed by the Network, the Network collectively reviews articles and following any edits, posts the completed Criteria Grids into the online Knowledge Bank below.
Should you have an article that you would like reviewed, please send the article to firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you would like to join the Global HCV Network, please complete the information asked for Membership.
Access to the online Knowledge Bank is FREE.
Select a completed Grid:
Diagnosis & Treatment
Please note that all files here include the completed review, followed by the article itself, within the same document.
Articles for Knowledge Bank Review (2015):
- Alghamdi AS. et. al. (2012). SASLT practice guidelines for the management of hepatitis C virus infection: summary of recommendations. Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology, 18(5): 293-298.
- Aspinall EJ. et al. (2013). Treatment of hepatitis C virus infection among people who are actively injecting drugs: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 57(Suppl 2): 80-91.
- Awad T. et al. (2010) Peginterferon alpha-2a is associated with higher sustained virological response than peginterferon alfa-2b in chronic hepatitis C: systematic review of randomized trials. Hepatology, 51(4):1176-1184.
- Bhattacharya D. et al. (2010) Women experience higher rates of adverse events during hepatitis C virus therapy in HIV infection: a meta-analysis. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes: JAIDS, 55(2):170-175.
- Chang MH. et al. (2012) Boceprevir: a protease inhibitor for the treatment of hepatitis C. Clinical Therapeutics, 34(10):2021-2038.
- Cheng D. et al. (2014) Peginterferon plus Chinese herbal therapy is associated with a higher virological response than only peginterferon therapy in chronic hepatitis C. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases, 33(3):433-438.
- Chevaliez S. et al. (2011) Mechanisms of non-response to antiviral treatment in chronic hepatitis C. Clinics & Research in Hepatology & Gastroenterology, 35(Suppl 1):31-41.
- Chou R. et al. (2013) Comparative effectiveness of antiviral treatment for hepatitis C virus infection in adults: a systematic review. Annals of Internal Medicine, 158(2):114-123.
- Cooper C. et al. (2013) Direct-acting antiviral therapies for hepatitis C genotype 1 infection: a multiple treatment comparison meta-analysis. Qjm, 106(2):153-163.
- Coppola N. et al. (2012) Efficacy of Pegylated interferon alpha-2a and alpha-2b in patients with genotype 1 chronic hepatitis C: a meta-analysis. BMC Infectious Diseases, 12:357.
- Dang SS. et al. (2012) Telaprevir for chronic hepatitis C with genotype 1: a meta-analysis. Hepato-Gastroenterology, 59(114):461-468.
- Davies A. et al. (2013) Treatment outcomes of treatment-naive Hepatitis C patients co-infected with HIV: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational cohorts. PLoS ONE, 8(2):e55373.
- Dimova RB. et al. (2013) Determinants of hepatitis C virus treatment completion and efficacy in drug users assessed by meta-analysis. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 56(6):806-816.
- Esmat G. et al. (2014) Optimizing treatment for HCV genotype 4: PEG-IFN alfa 2a vs. PEG-IFN alfa 2b; the debate continues. Liver International, 34(Suppl 1):24-28.
- Ford N. et al. (2012) Chronic hepatitis C treatment outcomes in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 90(7):540-550.
- Franchini M. et al. (2008) Treatment of chronic hepatitis C in haemophilic patients with interferon and ribavirin: a meta-analysis. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 61(6):1191-1200.
- Gevers TJ. et al. (2011) Treatment extension benefits HCV genotype 1 patients without rapid virological response: a systematic review. Netherlands Journal of Medicine, 69(5):216-221.
- Goralczyk AD. et al. (2013) Treatment of chronic HCV genotype 1 infection with telaprevir: a Bayesian mixed treatment comparison of fixed-length and response-guided treatment regimens in treatment-naive and -experienced patients. BMC Gastroenterology, 13:148.
- Gu S. et al. (2012) Core antigen tests for hepatitis C virus: a meta-analysis. Molecular Biology Reports, 39(8):8197-8208.
- Hagan H. et al. (2011) A systematic review and meta-analysis of interventions to prevent hepatitis C virus infection in people who inject drugs. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 204(1):74-83.
- Hajarizadeh B. et al. (2012) Case definitions for acute hepatitis C virus infection: a systematic review. Journal of Hepatology, 57(6):1349-1360.
- Huang TS. et al. (2013) A systematic review and meta-analysis of adjuvant interferon therapy after curative treatment for patients with viral hepatitis-related hepatocellular carcinoma. Journal of Viral Hepatitis, 20(10):729-743.
- Hull M. et al (2016). CIHR Canadian HIV Trials Network Coinfection and Concurrent Diseases Core Research Group: 2016 Updated Canadian HIV/Hepatitis C Adult Guidelines for Management and Treatment
- Kamal SM. (2011) Hepatitis C virus genotype 4 therapy: progress and challenges. Liver International, 31(Suppl-1):45-52
- Kieran J. et al. (2013) The relative efficacy of boceprevir and telaprevir in the treatment of hepatitis C virus genotype 1. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 56(2):228-235.
- Kohli A. et al. (2014) Treatment of hepatitis C: a systematic review. JAMA, 312(6):631-640.
- Konerman MA. et al. (2014) Systematic review: identifying patients with chronic hepatitis C in need of early treatment and intensive monitoring–predictors and predictive models of disease progression. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 40(8):863-879.
- Lieveld FI. et al. (2013) Patient adherence to antiviral treatment for chronic hepatitis B and C: a systematic review. Annals of Hepatology, 12(3):380-391.
- Lin ZH. et al. (2011) Performance of the aspartate aminotransferase-to-platelet ratio index for the staging of hepatitis C-related fibrosis: an updated meta-analysis. Hepatology, 53(3):726-736.
- Marcellin P. et al. (2012) Safety profile of standard- vs. high-dose peginterferon alfa-2a plus standard-dose ribavirin in HCV genotype 1/4 patients: pooled analysis from 5 randomized studies. Expert Opinion on Drug Safety, 11(6):901-909.
- Mathes T. et al. (2014) Factors influencing adherence in Hepatitis-C infected patients: a systematic review. BMC Infectious Diseases, 14:203.
- Matthews SJ. et al. (2012) Telaprevir: a hepatitis C NS3/4A protease inhibitor. Clinical Therapeutics, 34(9):1857-1882.
- Moyer VA. (2013) U.S.Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for hepatitis C virus infection in adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Annals of Internal Medicine, 159(5):349-357.
- Nair KC. et al. (2013) Frequency of thyroid dysfunctions during interferon alpha treatment of single and combination therapy in hepatitis C virus-infected patients: a systematic review based analysis. PLoS ONE, 8(2):e55364.
- Qin H. et al. (2012) Safety of telaprevir for chronic hepatitis C virus infection: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Clinical Drug Investigation, 32(10):665-672.
- Rangnekar AS. et al. (2013) IL-28B polymorphisms and the response to antiviral therapy in HCV genotype 2 and 3 varies by ethnicity: a meta-analysis. Journal of Viral Hepatitis, 20(6):377-384.
- Redulla R. et al. (2013) Adherence and completion in hepatitis C management: a systematic review. Gastroenterology Nursing, 36(1):53-58.
- Romero-Gomez M. et al. (2013) Meta-analysis: pegylated interferon alpha-2a achieves higher early virological responses than alpha-2b in chronic hepatitis C. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 37(11):1065-1073.
- Salk A. et al. (2013) Ischemic colitis with type I interferons used in the treatment of hepatitis C and multiple sclerosis: an evaluation from the food and drug administration adverse event reporting system and review of the literature. Annals of Pharmacotherapy, 47(4):537-542.
- Singal AK. et al. (2010) Meta-analysis: interferon improves outcomes following ablation or resection of hepatocellular carcinoma. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 32(7):851-858.
Previously Reviewed Articles:
- Lok, AS. et al. (2012). Preliminary study of two antiviral agents for hepatitis C genotype 1. N Engl J Med, 366(3), 216-24.
- Spillane, H. et al. (2012). Incidence, risk factors and causes of death in an HIV care programme with a large proportion of injecting drug users. Trop Med Int Health, 17(12), 1255-1263.
- Bacon, BR. et al. (2011). Boceprevir for Previously Treated Chronic HCV Genotype 1 Infection. N Engl J Med, 364 (13), 1207-1217.
- Jacobson, IM. et al. (2011). Telaprevir for previously untreated chronic hepatitis C virus infection. N Engl J Med, 364(25), 2405-16.
- Poordad, F. et al. (2011). Boceprevir for untreated chronic HCV genotype 1 infection. N Engl J Med, 364 (13), 1195-1206.
- Qiu, D. et al. (2011). Validation of the simplified criteria for diagnosis of autoimmune hepatitis in Chinese patients. J Hepatol, 54(2), 340-7.
- Kwo, PY. et al. (2010). Efficacy of boceprevir, an NS3 protease inhibitor, in combination with peginterferon alfa-2b and ribavirin in treatment-naïve patients with genotype 1 hepatitis C infection (SPRINT-1): an open-label, randomized, multicentre phase 2 trial. Lancet, 376, 705-16.
- Hézode, C. et al. (2009). Telaprevir and Peginterferon with or without ribavirin for chronic HCV infection. N Engl J Med, 360(18), 1839-50.
- McHutchison, JG. et al. (2009). Telaprevir with peginterferon and ribavirin for chronic HCV genotype 1 infection. N Engl J Med, 360 (18), 1827-38.
- Yee, HS. et al. (2006). Management and Treatment of Hep C viral Infection: recommendations from the Department of Veterans Affairs Hepatitis C resource Center program and national Hepatitis C Program Office. Am J Gastroenterol, 101(10), 2360-78.
- Carrat, F. et al. (2004). Study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin vs standard interferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin in HIV-HCV coinfected patient. A randomized control trial. JAMA, 292(23), 2839-2848.