The Global HCV Network is responsible for reviewing evidence-based, peer reviewed articles as well as grey literature in the areas of viral hepatitis prevention and awareness, research and surveillance, and diagnosis and treatment. Using Criteria Grids that were constructed by the Network, the Network collectively reviews articles and following any edits, posts the completed Criteria Grids into the online Knowledge Bank below.
Should you have an article that you would like reviewed, please send the article to firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you would like to join the Global HCV Network, please complete the information asked for Membership.
Access to the online Knowledge Bank is FREE.
Select a completed Grid:
Research & Surveillance
Articles for Knowledge Bank Review 2016:
- Akpo EI. et al. (2015) Predicting the impact of adverse events and treatment duration on medical resource utilization-related costs in hepatitis C genotype 1 treatment-naïve patients receiving antiviral therapy. Pharmacoeconomics, 33(4): 409-22.
- Aspinall EJ. et al. (2015) Targeted hepatitis C antibody testing interventions: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Epidemiol. 30(2):115-29.
- Aziz H. et al. (2015) Optimum predictors of therapeutic outcome in HCV patients in Pakistan. J Med Virol, 88: 100-108.
- Bansal S. et al. (2015) Impact of all oral anti-hepatitis C virus therapy: A meta-analysis. World J Hepatol, 7(5): 806-13.
- Baseke J. et al. (2015) Prevalence of hepatitis B and C and relationship to liver damage in HIV infected patients attending Joint Clinical Research Centre Clinic (JCRC), Kampala, Uganda. Afr Health Sci, 15(2): 322-7.
- Bateman-Steel CR. et al. (2015) Hepatitis C enhanced surveillance: Results from a southeastern Sydney pilot program. Public Health Res Pract, 25(2): e2521520.
- Batista MN. et al. (2015) Caffeine inhibits hepatitis C virus replication in vitro. Arch Virol, 160(2): 399-407.
- Beckwith CG. et al. (2015) A pilot study of rapid hepatitis C virus testing in the Rhode Island Department of Corrections. J Public Health (Oxf), 1-8.
- Beckwith CG. et al. (2015) Survey of US Correctional Institutions for Routine HCV Testing. Am J Public Health, 105(1): 68-71.
- Benova L. et al. (2015) Estimation of hepatitis C virus infections resulting from vertical transmission in Egypt. Hepatology, 61(3): 834-42.
- Brunet L. et al. (2015) Opioid use and risk of liver fibrosis in HIV/hepatitis C virus-coinfected patients in Canada. HIV Med, 17: 36-45.
- Bunchorntavakul C. et al. (2015) Distinct features in natural history and outcomes of acute hepatitis C. J Clin Gastroenterol, 49(4):e31-40.
- Cacoub P. (2014) Extrahepatic manifestations of chronic hepatitis C virus infection. Digestive and Liver Disease, 46(Suppl 5):S165-73.
- Calvet GA. et al. (2015) Predictors of early menopause in HIV-infected women: a prospective cohort study. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 212(6):765.e1-765.e13.
- Fattahi MRF. et al. (2015) The Prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection and its related risk factors among the Rural Population of Fars Province, Southern Iran. Hepatitis Monthly, 15(2):e24734.
- Ferenci P. et al. (2015) HCV targeting of patients with cirrhosis. Journal of Hepatology, 63(4):1015-22.
- Fernandez-Davila P. et al. (2015) Hepatitis C virus infection and its relationship to certain sexual practices in men-who-have-sex-with-men in Spain: results from the European MSM internet survey (EMIS). Enfermedades Infecciosas y Microbiologia Clinica, 33(5):303-10.
- Ferraioli G. et al. (2013) Performance of liver stiffness measurements by transient elastography in chronic hepatitis. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 19(1):49-56.
- Ferreira PR. (2015) Disease burden of chronic hepatitis C in Brazil. The Brazilian Journal of Infectious Disease, 19(4):363-8.
- Firdaus R. (2015) Current molecular methods for the detection of hepatitis C virus in high risk group population: A systematic review. World Journal of Virology, 4(1):25-32.
- Goldmann G. (2015) Long-term outcome of liver transplantation in HCV/HIV coinfected haemophilia patients: A single centre study of 10 patients. Hamostaseologie, 35(2):175-80.
- Hajiabbasi A. (2015) The factors affecting bone density in cirrhosis. Hepatitis Monthly, 15(4):e26871.
- Kanizaj TF. (2015) New challenges in liver transplantation. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 21(19):5768-5777.
Articles for Knowledge Bank Review 2015:
- Alavian SM. et al. (2010) Hepatitis C infection in hemodialysis patients in Iran: a systematic review. Hemodialysis International, 14(3):253-262.
- Allison RD. et al. (2015) Increased incidence of cancer and cancer-related mortality among persons with chronic hepatitis C infection, 2006-2010. J Hepatol, 63: 822-828.
- Attaullah S. et al. (2011) Hepatitis C virus genotypes in Pakistan: a systemic review. Virology Journal, 8:433.
- Bota S. et al. (2013) Role of interleukin-28B polymorphism as a predictor of sustained virological response in patients with chronic hepatitis C treated with triple therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Drug Investigation, 33(5):325-331.
- Chao DT. et al. (2011) Systematic review: epidemiology of hepatitis C genotype 6 and its management. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 34(3):286-296.
- Chen Y. et al. (2012) Meta-analysis: IL28B polymorphisms predict sustained viral response in HCV patients treated with pegylated interferon-alpha and ribavirin. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 36(2):91-103.
- Eslam M. et al. (2011) Meta-analysis: insulin resistance and sustained virological response in hepatitis C. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 34(3):297-305.
- Eslam M. et al. (2011) The role of insulin resistance in HIV/hepatitis C virus-coinfected patients. Current Opinion in HIV & AIDS, 6(6):553-558.
- Fabrizi F. et al. (2012) Antiviral therapy for HCV-associated cryoglobulinemic glomerulonephritis: case report and review of the literature. Kidney & Blood Pressure Research, 35(6):687-693.
- Fabrizi F. et al. (2012) Hepatitis C virus infection and kidney disease: a meta-analysis. Clinical Journal of The American Society of Nephrology, 7(4):549-557.
- Fabrizi F. et al. (2014) Meta-analysis of observational studies: hepatitis C and survival after renal transplant. Journal of Viral Hepatitis, 21(5):314-324.
- Gurusamy KS. et al. (2013) Is sustained virological response a marker of treatment efficacy in patients with chronic hepatitis C viral infection with no response or relapse to previous antiviral intervention?. PLoS ONE, 8(12):e83313.
- Hou XJ. et al. (2013) Can antidepressants prevent pegylated interferon-alpha/ribavirin-associated depression in patients with chronic hepatitis C: meta-analysis of randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials? PLoS ONE, 8(10):e76799.
- Hua L. et al. (2013) Hepatitis C virus/HIV coinfection and responses to initial antiretroviral treatment. AIDS, 27(17):2725-2734.
- Hynicka LM. et al. (2013) Anemia management in patients with chronic viral hepatitis C. Annals of Pharmacotherapy, 47(2):228-236.
- Ingsathit A. et al. (2013) Survival advantage of kidney transplantation over dialysis in patients with hepatitis C: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Transplantation, 95(7):943-948.
- Jia Z. et al. (2012) Test of IL28B polymorphisms in chronic hepatitis C patients treated with PegIFN and ribavirin depends on HCV genotypes: results from a meta-analysis. PLoS ONE, 7(9):e45698.
- Jimenez-Sousa MA. et al. (2013) Meta-analysis: implications of interleukin-28B polymorphisms in spontaneous and treatment-related clearance for patients with hepatitis C. BMC Medicine, 11:6.
- Karoney MJ. et al. (2013) Hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection in Africa: a review. The Pan African medical journal, 14:44.
- Machado MV. et al. (2011) Hepatic steatosis in hepatitis B virus infected patients: meta-analysis of risk factors and comparison with hepatitis C infected patients. Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, 26(9):1361-1367.
- Mohd HK. et al. (2013) Global Epidemiology of Hepatitis C Virus Infection: New Estimates of Age-Specific Antibody to HCV Seroprevalence. Hematology, 57:1333-1342
- Ng V. et al. (2011) Effects of a sustained virologic response on outcomes of patients with chronic hepatitis C. Clinical Gastroenterology & Hepatology, 9(11):923-930.
- Probst A. et al. (2011) Role of hepatitis C virus genotype 3 in liver fibrosis progression–a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Viral Hepatitis, 18(11):745-759.
- Quelhas R. et al. (2009) Psychiatric problems in patients infected with hepatitis C before and during antiviral treatment with interferon-alpha: a review. Journal of Psychiatric Practice, 15(4):262-281.
- Rangnekar AS. et al. (2012) Meta-analysis: IL-28B genotype and sustained viral clearance in HCV genotype 1 patients. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 36(2):104-114.
- Shah HA. et al. (2013) Education provides significant benefits to patients with hepatitis B virus or hepatitis C virus infection: a systematic review. Clinical Gastroenterology & Hepatology, 11(8):922-933.
- Shi KQ. et al. (2012) Interleukin-28B polymorphisms on the SVR in the treatment of naive chronic hepatitis C with pegylated interferon-alpha plus ribavirin: a meta-analysis. Gene, 507(1):27-35.
- Spiegel BM. et al. (2005) Impact of hepatitis C on health related quality of life: a systematic review and quantitative assessment. Hepatology, 41(4):790-800.
- Sroczynski G. et al. (2010) Long-term effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of antiviral treatment in hepatitis C. Journal of Viral Hepatitis, 17(1):34-50.
- Sun J. et al. (2009) Hepatitis C infection and related factors in hemodialysis patients in china: systematic review and meta-analysis. Renal Failure, 31(7):610-620.
- Tsiara CG. et al. (2013) Effect of hepatitis C virus on immunological and virological responses in HIV-infected patients initiating highly active antiretroviral therapy: a meta-analysis. Journal of Viral Hepatitis, 20(10):715-724.
- Udell, J. A. et. al. (2012). Does this patient with liver disease have cirrhosis? JAMA, 307(8), 832-842.
- Villar, L. M. et. al. (2013). Association between vitamin D and hepatitis C virus infection: a meta-analysis. World Journal of Gastroenterology: WJG, 19(35), 5917.
- Waheed, Y. et. al. (2009). Hepatitis C virus in Pakistan: a systematic review of prevalence, genotypes and risk factors. World Journal of Gastroenterology: WJG, 15(45), 5647.
- Wang, Y. et. al. (2012). Body mass index and risk of primary liver cancer: a meta-analysis of prospective studies. The Oncologist, 17(11), 1461-1468.
- Wang, W. et. al. (2011). Prognostic role of diabetes mellitus in hepatocellular carcinoma patients after curative treatments: a meta-analysis. Hepatobiliary & Pancreatic Diseases International, 10(4), 346-355.
- Zheng, M. et. al. (2013). Interleukin-28B rs12979860C/T and rs8099917T/G contribute to spontaneous clearance of hepatitis C virus in Caucasians. Gene, 518(2), 479-482.
Previously Reviewed Articles:
- Forbi, JC. et al. (2012). Epidemic history of hepatitis C virus infection in two remote communities in Nigeria, West Africa. J Gen Virol, 93, 1410-21.
- Khan, S. et al. (2011). Molecular epidemiology of HCV among health care workers of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Virol J, 8, 105.
- Mehta, SH. et al. (2011). Changes in blood-borne infection risk among injection drug users. J Infect Dis. 203(5), 587-94.
- Ashraf, H. et al. (2010). Prevalence and risk factors of hepatitis B and C virus infections in an impoverished urban community in Dhaka, Bangladesh. BMC Infect Dis, 10, 208.
- Southern, WN. et al. (2010). Hepatitis C testing practices and prevalence in high-risk urban ambulatory care setting. J Viral Hepat. 18(7), 474-81.
- Watkins, RE. et al. (2009). Testing for sexually transmitted infections and blood borne illnesses on admission to Western Australian prisons. BMC Public Health, 9, 385.
- Robinson, WT. et al. (2006). Recruiting injection drug users: A three site comparison of results and experiences with respondent driven and targeted sampling procedures. J Urban Health. 83(6 Suppl), 29-38.
- Backus, LI. et al. (2005). Effects of hepatitis C virus coinfection on survival of veterans with HIV treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, 39(5), 613-9.